Psoriasis is a non-infectious dermatological disease that quickly becomes chronic. During the period of exacerbation of psoriasis, flaky, protruding rashes appear above the surface of the skin, causing a lot of discomfort. Typical areas of psoriasis are knees, elbows, scalp. The spread of the disease occurs throughout the body. A psoriasis diet can ease the course of the disease. Statistics say that 70% of sufferers are young people under 20, but absolutely all age categories are prone to psoriasis.
Food rules for psoriasis
The psoriasis diet is a medical food, which is recommended to be followed to avoid relapse in the patient. Patients with psoriasis must monitor their emotional state, check the functioning of the stomach and the entire gastrointestinal tract, eat in small doses (at least five times a day), eliminate allergens and increase the amount of fluids consumed. Daily stools are an unshakable rule for patients with psoriasis. Stagnation of food in the body contributes to the exacerbation of psoriasis.
To maintain the correct water balance in psoriasis, it is necessary:
- Drink 1. 7-2 liters of purified water per day with the addition of a small amount of lemon juice.
- Reduce your consumption of black and green tea. Increase the amount of herbal infusions, especially chamomile, flaxseed decoction.
- Include fresh juices in the diet (carrots, spinach, celery, apples, parsley, beets).
Basic kitchen rules for psoriasis:
- Eliminate fried and fatty foods from the menu. A special place is occupied by boiled, steamed or baked dishes in a food case.
- Reduce the amount of salt.
- Increase your intake of fermented milk products, preferably homemade.
- Limit the amount of toppings at your meals. For health benefits, replace them with lemon juice or a specially prepared sauce (yogurt + herbs + garlic + mustard).
What can and what cannot be eaten by psoriasis patients?
Diet for psoriasis implies complete control and adherence to the basic rules of a healthy diet. Few are able to limit themselves, give up their favorite foods, but during the period of exacerbation of psoriasis - this is a difficult necessity. The disease is not completely cured. Its course cannot be changed by using only drugs and not by adhering to dietary treatment. Knowing which foods are allowed to consume, which must be completely excluded during an exacerbation of psoriasis, can relieve the patient's well-being and reduce the main symptoms.
List of allowed and prohibited products
With psoriasis, it is necessary to adhere to these dietary rules:
- Eat more vegetables (lettuce, parsley, dill, green onions), fresh fruits, vegetables. They contain a whole store of vitamins.
- Eat boiled or steamed dishes of fatty fish (salmon, salmon) more often.
- Eat a lot of porridge: buckwheat, rice, oatmeal, wheat or any other.
- Add vegetable oil containing PUFA to food.
- Saturate the diet with cranberries or blueberries. These balls have long been considered the leaders among berries for relieving psoriasis symptoms.
People with such a disease should be categorically excluded from the diet or reduced:
- Consumption of coffee, strong teas.
- The amount of fatty meat.
- The amount of alcohol consumed.
- Consumption of spicy or salty seasonings, vinegar.
- The amount of honey, sugar, baked goods consumed.
- The share of strong meat broths, sauces in the diet.
- Eat any smoked product.
Sample menu for a week
After compiling a diet menu for a week (5 days), it is easier to see which foods need to be purchased and to avoid emergency snacking with banned foods for psoriasis. Diet in the treatment of psoriasis is essential. Failure to comply with it aggravates the course of the disease. Remember to drink 1 glass (or more) of fresh purified water between meals. Dinner should be no later than three hours before bedtime.
- Breakfast: buckwheat porridge + a small piece of butter + dried fruit. Weak tea with a slice of hard cheese.
- 2nd breakfast (after 2 hours) - an apple, banana or other fresh fruit that does not cause allergies.
- 3rd breakfast (after 2 hours) - cottage cheese topped with low-fat sour cream + fruit.
- Lunch - salad (fresh vegetables + a spoonful of olive oil), vegetable soup, side dish with a lean piece of boiled meat, bread.
- Afternoon snack - fruit.
- Dinner - porridge with stewed vegetables + bread. After 1. 5 hours, lean kefir + cookies.
- Breakfast: oatmeal with raisins and a piece of butter, bread, 1 glass of rosehip drink.
- 2nd breakfast: low-fat kefir.
- 3rd breakfast - fresh fruit.
- Lunch - salad (fresh vegetables, dressing with olive oil and lemon juice). Second chicken broth. Puree with a slice of steamed fish. Bread.
- Afternoon snack - cottage cheese with fresh fruit, topped with yogurt.
- Dinner - buckwheat porridge with meatless butter + steamed vegetables.
- Breakfast: a two-egg omelette. Sandwich with cocoa, butter and hard cheese.
- 2nd breakfast - fresh fruit.
- 3rd breakfast: a glass of kefir.
- Lunch - salad with fresh vegetables + salad dressing (vegetables, mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic). Borscht with beef broth. Rice porridge with steamed cutlet. Bread.
- Afternoon snack: some baked apples.
- Dinner - vegetable stew. A piece of rye bread.
- Breakfast: low-fat cottage cheese topped with sour cream + raisins. A glass of freshly squeezed juice.
- 2nd breakfast - fresh fruit. Compote of dried fruit.
- 3rd breakfast - 1 boiled egg.
- Dinner - ear. Steamed chicken cutlets + vinaigrette. Bread. Herbal chamomile
- Afternoon snack - compote of dried fruit. Marshmallow without chocolate.
- Dinner: a piece of steamed salmon + oatmeal with a piece of butter. Bread. Weak green tea.
- Breakfast - pumpkin milk porridge with dried apricots and raisins. Bread. Compote of dried fruit.
- 2nd breakfast - freshly squeezed juice + scrambled eggs from 2 eggs.
- Lunch: Zucchini puree. Pilaf, not fried. Bread. Rosehip decoction.
- Afternoon snack - a glass of yogurt (fermented cooked milk or kefir) + two baked apples.
- Dinner - curd casserole. Compote or chamomile.
Cottage cheese casserole
Prepare 1 kg of low-fat cottage cheese + 4 eggs + 1 cup of semolina + half a cup of steamed raisins + 5 tbsp. L. sugar + a pinch of salt and vanilla. Rub the cottage cheese well through a sieve, add the beaten eggs with sugar, mix. Pour the semolina, salt, vanilla into the curd mass. Stir with a spoon or mixer, let stand for half an hour. Put the resulting mass on a greased form. Bake with or without closed lid (about half an hour at medium temperature). Let the saucepan cool before use. A healthy dessert for the duration of the diet is ready.
Milk pumpkin porridge with raisins is a healthy sweet dish for a psoriasis sufferer
You will need: half a kilo of pumpkin, 2/3 cup of rice, half a liter of milk, half a glass of raisins, salt, sugar, vanillin to taste. Peel the pumpkin from seeds and peels. Cut into cubes or strips. Pour halfway with water. When it becomes soft, work it well, pour the milk. Add the prepared rice (soak 2 hours before, rinse), salt, sugar. Pour in the washed raisins and vanilla 15 minutes before turning off. Add a piece of butter to the ready-made porridge. Put in the oven for 15 minutes: the dish will be more aromatic and tender.
Zucchini soup with hard cheese
To prepare a tender spring soup you will need:
- 1 liter of purified water;
- 2 zucchini (up to 20 cm long);
- 5 pieces of potatoes;
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger root;
- hard cheese (1 tablespoon l for each serving);
- 1 tablespoon. L. olive oil;
- fresh or dried aromatic herbs (parsley, dill, celery);
- Salt to taste;
- spices (bay leaf, cardamom).
Pour the chopped potatoes and courgettes into boiling water. Pass the coriander, crushed in a mortar, the grated ginger for 30 seconds. Put with ready-made vegetables, boil for 1 minute, turn off the heat. Drain excess liquid into a separate bowl. Grind the boiled vegetables with a blender, gradually adding the vegetable broth until the desired consistency is obtained. Add salt and herbs. Bring to a boil, turn off. Soup puree, arranged in portioned plates, sprinkle with grated hard cheese to taste. The first dish for the patient's diet is ready.
Oatmeal with dried fruit
A quick and useful dish for a psoriasis sufferer is oatmeal. You need to take half a glass of oatmeal. Pour them into boiling water (1 glass), add raisins, dried apricots or other dried fruit (any fresh or frozen fruit), salt, sugar to taste. Turn off the heat. Add a piece of butter. Leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Diet breakfast or dinner is ready.
The principles of nutritional therapy in different ways
Common diets for treating people with psoriasis are the Pegano method. Two nutritionists agree that to avoid relapse and worsening of the condition, psoriasis patients should maintain the body's acid-base balance in ratios of 20% to 70% or 30% to 80% and follow the basics of proper nutrition. Let's take a closer look at both diets.
According to the Pegano method
Dr. John Pegano has developed a dietary treatment for psoriasis patients in which fruits and vegetables are grouped together to help regulate acid-base balance. He believes that raw apples, bananas and melons are best consumed in small doses, separately from other food items. Small portions should be consumed currants, plums, avocados, beans, cranberries, dried beans, mushrooms, plums, lentils, rhubarb, almonds, hazelnuts. He is advised to take 1 tablespoon five days a week. L. lecithin (granular). After eating, there should be a slight feeling of hunger.
In his psoriasis diet, up to 80% of the food consumed includes:
- purified water (up to 8 cups per day), in addition to other liquids;
- fruits, vegetables, but not canned. Baked apples, dates, apricots, figs, raisins, kiwis, mangoes, pears are especially useful for patients with psoriasis. Vegetables - asparagus, carrots, cabbage, beets, celery, onions, olives, squash, zucchini. This is the basis of dietary nutrition for psoriasis.
About one third of a psoriasis patient's diet should be:
- cereals in the form of cereals - buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, barley, rye;
- wholemeal bread, bran, rusks, sprouts;
- fish dishes (at least four times a week): tuna, cod, flounder, perch, sturgeon, trout;
- poultry - up to three times a week (without skin);
- meat (exclusively lean lamb) - up to twice a week;
- skim milk, fermented dairy products, butter, cheese, cottage cheese;
- eggs (hard-boiled or soft-boiled only) - up to four times a week;
- decoctions of chamomile, watermelon seeds, mullein.
Treatment of a patient with psoriasis with a diet according to the Pegano method excludes the combination between them:
- whole grains with citrus fruits (not only fresh, but also dry, stewed) and juices;
- citrus dairy products, juices;
- all kinds of fruit with white flour products;
- in a portion of food a large number of acid-forming foods.
According to the method of the dietician
In the treatment of psoriasis with a diet, another nutritionist combines food with herbal decoctions. According to his method, the diet completely excludes all citrus fruits (except grapefruit), strawberries, beans, raspberries, avocados, strawberries, pomegranates, lentils, peas. Allowed grapes (in small quantities), cabbage (any portions). Green beans, courgettes, carrots, broccoli, garlic, onions, spinach, cucumbers, squash are recommended to be consumed with short breaks. Bananas, melons and raw apples are eaten separately from other foods. They drink mineral water every day.