Psoriasis causes many problems in the form of discomfort and cosmetic problems, and its localization on the head increases the complexity of the treatment. The danger of the disease also lies in the addition of fungal infections. How to treat psoriasis and what are its symptoms?
Causes of psoriasis of the head
To date, there is no clear answer to what causes the appearance of psoriasis on the head. Experts have put forward several theories about the onset of the disease:
- Violations in metabolic processes, against the background of which the cell life cycle is reduced from 40 days to 5. Thus, there is a layering of dead tissues on the plaques.
- genetic predisposition. If one of the parents has a disease in the family, the probability of developing psoriasis in a child is 25%, if both parents are 75%.
- Dysfunction in the thyroid gland. Hormonal disruptions are often the cause of a dermatological disease.
- Autoimmune processes, during which the immune system recognizes epidermal cells as foreign bodies.
Head psoriasis can also be aggravated by the following factors:
- stressful conditions;
- irrational nutrition;
- living in an area of poor ecology;
- to smoke;
- drinking alcohol.
All experts are absolutely sure of one thing: the disease occurs under the influence of several reasons, and their elimination becomes the first step towards remission.
One of the complex forms of the disease is scalp psoriasis. This is due to the fact that due to the hairline, the treatment process is difficult, and the symptoms of the disease in the early stages resemble simple dandruff.
Scalp psoriasis is characterized by symptoms similar to those of a disorder located elsewhere in the body. The following manifestations of the disease can be distinguished:
- Single rashes or extensive plaque accumulations appear on the surface of the skin.
- There is sebum on the surface of the lesions, which causes the rashes to acquire a yellow tint. Dead cells, mixed with fat, begin to form tubercles.
- Dandruff-like scales build up on the hair.
- The course of the disease is accompanied by severe itching.
- In children, redness of the epidermis of the head is observed, which subsequently begins to get wet.
Since the lesions are located on the surface of the skin, the disease does not reach the hair follicles, so there is no disturbance in hair growth and their loss remains at a normal level. The photo shows what psoriasis looks like, localized on the scalp.
Scalp psoriasis can have unpleasant consequences:
- The disease brings not so much discomfort as psychological discomfort. Often the patient can also fall into a deep depression.
- Due to the constant itching and scratching, the disease constantly gives the patient a feeling of pain.
- With the erythrodermal form of psoriasis, the hair follicles are affected, which can later lead to baldness.
Therefore, the treatment of psoriasis on the head should take place on time.
Important! Scalp psoriasis can spread to the face, neck, and shoulders.
Characteristics of the treatment
Only a dermatologist, after a thorough examination and laboratory examination, will tell you how to cure psoriasis on the scalp. The disease itself cannot go away, in the fight against it it is necessary to use complex therapy, which involves the use of methods of both traditional and alternative medicine. Also, scalp psoriasis should be treated with physiotherapy. Only in this case, the therapy can be successful.
Shampoo against psoriasis
During the treatment of psoriasis, the scalp needs special care, which does not allow the use of conventional cosmetic shampoos. A hair wash should be selected taking into account the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effect.
We can distinguish the main types of shampoos:
- Tar. They contain birch or juniper tar, which well relieves the symptoms of the disease in the form of burning, and also effectively fights excessive peeling.
- Antifungal. Aimed at the destruction of pathogenic fungal infection. In addition, the drug well soothes the irritated epidermis.
- Therapeutic. This category of shampoo contains components such as zinc or salicylic acid. The products have active moisturizing properties.
All these tools must be used according to the instructions.
Spray lotions are often used in the treatment of scalp psoriasis. This is the most convenient, because when sprayed, the medicine does not leave impurities on the hair, evenly irrigating the entire surface of the skin with a solution. The most popular lotions are:
- A steroid drug, which also includes salicylic acid. The tool disinfects the skin well, and also relieves itching effectively and quickly. The course of therapy is 3 weeks.
- Spray, which contains only natural herbal extracts. Recommended for use to prolong remission. The drug moisturizes the dermis well and eliminates itching sensations.
- Non-hormonal solution, the active ingredient of which is zinc oxide. The component well blocks inflammatory processes and effectively fights fungal infections.
Sprays can also be used on other parts of the body, but after consultation with the treating specialist. It is not necessary to wash off the medicine after application.
Alternative medicine recipes are quite popular in psoriasis therapy. They are completely natural and do not harm the patient. Furthermore, these funds will not harm the wallet. The following most effective recipes can be identified:
- Soda bath. Pour a full pack of baking soda into the bathtub. You need to lie down in the water with your head thrown back so that the solution covers your head up to the forehead area. It is recommended to cover the ears with ear plugs. The procedure takes 30 minutes.
- It is also recommended that you periodically wash your hair with tar or sulfur soap. To do this, grate the product on a fine grater and dissolve it in a small amount of water. Use as a normal shampoo.
- salicylic oil. A very effective remedy for breakouts. You just need to moisten a cotton swab in the substance and lubricate the partitions. It is necessary to work out seven separations.
Many patients do not trust folk remedies, but some of them may be more effective than even the most expensive drugs.
Advice! Care must be taken to avoid recipes based on essential oils, burning and irritating substances.
Scalp psoriasis is localized in the following areas:
- behind the ears;
- on the back of the head;
- on the mucous membranes;
- near the superciliary arches;
- on the cheeks.
Rashes in the facial area are especially noticeable, as they cannot be hidden by clothing. At the same time, the use of masking cosmetics is strictly prohibited.
The disease manifests itself as follows:
- First, bright spots appear on the face.
- Then small spots appear in the middle, which quickly grow and turn into papules.
- These formations soon begin to be covered with a thick layer of dead cells.
The formation of rashes is accompanied by severe itching. In the photo you can see what psoriasis on the head looks like.
A skin disorder can cause unpleasant consequences:
- When combing papules, scratches and wounds are formed, which can become a source of infection.
- Localization of rashes on the eyelids is the cause of the pathology of the eyeball.
- Psoriasis can cause inflammation in the joints and liver.
To prevent the development of concomitant ailments, it is necessary to carry out treatment in time.
Features of therapy
The skin of the face is quite sensitive, so the patient's task is not only to get rid of the disease, but also to maintain external attractiveness. How to cure psoriasis on the head, a dermatologist will advise.
Psoriasis ointment on the head is the most common remedy in the fight against the disease. There are two types of funds for local use:
- Hormonal ointments. They contain glucocorticosteroids, which quickly relieve the symptoms of the disease, so they are often used during an exacerbation.
- Non-steroidal ointments. These products contain herbal ingredients and one or two active substances such as zinc oxide or ichthyol. They have a milder effect on the body, so you can use them for a long time.
When choosing an ointment, the severity of the course of the disease must be compared with the strength of the remedy.
The following most effective recipes can be distinguished:
- The fatty solid and the birch tar should be mixed equally. Apply the mass on the lesions for 20 minutes. Then rinse and moisturize the skin with the cream.
- You can also use sea buckthorn oil, applying it to the plaques before going to bed. The tool disinfects and heals wounds well.
It is recommended to take inside decoctions from medicinal collections.
General principles of therapy
Since the disease requires a complex effect, local treatment is limited. It is necessary to get rid of psoriasis comprehensively, using all available means.
In the treatment of psoriasis, the following groups of drugs are used:
- immunosuppressive agents;
Usually several groups of drugs are prescribed at the same time, depending on the severity of the disease, the clinical picture.
Important! You can not independently prescribe a medicine for yourself, you should first seek the advice of a dermatologist.
Physiotherapy is an integral part of the fight against the disease. The following procedures can be distinguished:
- laser exposure;
- ultrasonic impact;
- mud treatment.
Usually, such methods are prescribed during the rest period of the disease, which helps to prolong remission.
It has been shown that some products can not only exacerbate the disease, but also worsen symptoms. Therefore, it is advisable to follow a diet that limits the use of the following foods:
- canned food;
- fat food;
- Fast food;
- alcoholic products;
- red fruits and vegetables;
Preference should be given to protein foods and foods rich in fiber, steamed or baked.
Despite the complexity of the course of the disease, psoriasis of the head is not a sentence. It is only necessary to strictly observe complex therapy, and the disease will not make itself felt for a long time.