The very first manifestations of psoriasis often appear on the head, and then spread throughout the body. Psoriasis on the head occurs with itching and a risk of bacterial complications. If you suspect the psoriatic nature of rashes, you should immediately consult a doctor - the disease responds well to treatment at first. The article contains all the information about the symptoms and all known treatments for this form of the disease.
Causes of psoriasis on the head
This is a chronic, non-contagious dermatological process that develops in individuals with a hereditary predisposition. The causes of psoriasis on the head and the mechanism of its development are not fully understood. But it was established that the process develops against the background of metabolic and immune disorders. The body loses control over the division of the skin's epithelial cells: they begin to divide much faster. Equally quickly, signs of keratinization appear, manifested in the form of peeling. At the same time, inflammatory processes develop in the skin.
Main cause of scalp psoriasisit is a hereditary predisposition. Scientists are trying to identify the genes responsible for transmitting the disease from generation to generation. Separate altered areas, related to different genes, found in patients and their close relatives have already been established.
But a person who has a genetic predisposition does not necessarily get sick. Equally important are external and internal predisposing factors. Scalp psoriasis begins in genetically predisposed individuals due to exposure to the following factors:
- mechanical irritation of the skin (with a hairbrush with hard teeth; lesions of small wounds and scabs that appear with seborrhea, etc. );
- exposure to cold;
- transferred infectious diseases; often after streptococcal impetigo - purulent rashes mainly on the skin of the face; develops in children and becomes an impetus for the development of an autoimmune process;
- chronic stress and high loads;
- frequent smoking, alcohol abuse;
- diet disorders - irregular malnutrition dry food, excessive consumption of high-calorie foods and hot spices;
- with hormonal disorders affecting the state of the sebaceous glands of the skin - obesity, imbalance of sex hormones, diabetes mellitus, diseases of the thyroid gland, pituitary gland, hypothalamus;
- in diseases of the liver and kidneys with impaired function of these organs; toxins are neutralized in the liver and excreted from the body via the kidneys; intoxication can become a starting point in the development of the disease.
Under the influence of one or more factors, the interaction of the organism with the environment is disrupted. The metabolism of proteins, fats and carbohydrates is disturbed, which causes the acceleration of metabolic processes in the skin and its peeling.
Psoriasis of any localization can spread throughout the body, so do not delay treatment.
Changes in the immune system are manifested in the form of increased sensitivity of the skin to any external influences (in addition to combing or frequent hair coloring). In response to such influences, antibodies are produced against one's own cells, causing an autoimmune inflammatory process to occur. The reasons why inflammation begins are not yet fully understood. This is one of the priorities of medicine in the direction of psoriasis treatment.
Symptoms of scalp psoriasis
Psoriasis on the head manifests itself in the form of characteristic symptoms. The disease can begin acutely with multiple rashes (vulgar form of psoriasis) or gradually with itching and peeling of the skin, and only then characteristic rashes appear (seborrheic form).
The most frequent onset is gradual, in the form of dandruff and peeling. In the early stages, these are small areas in the occipital region. Peeling spreads to larger areas and itching begins. Constant scratching of the skin contributes to its enlargement and the appearance of abrasions. What does scalp psoriasis look like? The initial symptoms of psoriasis on the head in the photo are like this:
In the area of scratches and abrasions, redness appears first, then small inflammatory nodules and papules, surrounded by a bright border that rises above the surface of the skin. Accompanied by severe itching, rashes increase in size and merge with each other. The characteristics of the rashes are:
- white "shavings" covering the papules; when scraped, it resembles a stearin grain; in the seborrheic form the scales are yellowish and the phenomenon of the stearin stain is not so pronounced;
- if you scrape off all the "chips", a smooth, translucent surface opens up;
- further scraping leads to the appearance of droplets of blood on the surface - "blood dew".
In the photo, three signs look like this:
These three characteristic manifestations distinguish scalp psoriasis from seborrheic dermatitis, with which it is easily confused. In the future, the papules merge and form psoriatic plaques, which have a different configuration and sometimes spread over the entire surface of the head.
The course of scalp psoriasis can be mild with the appearance of single rashes in the initial stage. These rashes then go through all three stages of development. In severe form, the rashes occupy the entire significant area and spread to the face and neck in the form of a crown - an inflammatory border covered with silver scales. Hair roots do not suffer, but a bacterial, fungal or mixed infection often joins the psoriatic process, which leads to complications that are not so easy to cure. Here's what the crown looks like:
Stages of psoriasis on the head
The disease proceeds for a long time, exacerbations are replaced by remissions. The frequency of exacerbations and the severity of symptoms depend on the presence of provoking factors.
Rash and inflammation spread, accompanied by intense itching. At the initial stage, there is a Koebner symptom - the appearance of psoriatic rashes at the site of scratches and abrasions.
The process is in the same state, it does not spread, but it does not vanish.
The process gradually subsides, the itching disappears, the rash becomes pale, the inflammatory infiltrate decreases, gradually acquiring the appearance of a spot; the color of the rashes becomes pale, starting from the center, forming ring-shaped figures with a brighter edge. Sometimes they begin to pale from the periphery to the center and then take the form of whitish rings (a symptom of psoriasis on the head is Voronov's pseudoatrophy). The healing phase can take a long time and gradually only white, depigmented patches remain on the skin.
Methods of treatment of psoriasis on the head
Scalp psoriasis requires systematic treatment under the supervision of a doctor. Of decisive importance is a mobile lifestyle, quitting smoking and alcohol, staying on a diet. It is necessary to treat the disease in a complex way, to apply techniques that take into account the characteristics of the patient's body. Complex therapy can include modern European methods, drug treatment and oriental methods that have been proven for centuries. Such treatment can immediately significantly improve the patient's condition and lead to the development of a stable remission within a few weeks.
PRP - therapy - the method is based on the ability of platelets (red platelets) to secrete a growth factor that stimulates the regenerative abilities of cells. By centrifugation, the patient's blood is enriched with platelets and then punctually injected into the scalp. The technique can significantly accelerate the onset of remission and prevent the development of relapses.
Autohemotherapy: The treatment is carried out by intramuscular injection of a small amount of blood taken from the patient's vein. This has a general stimulating effect, restores the epithelium of the head. After treatment, a stable remission is observed.
Reflexology is the impact in various ways on special points of the body, which are reflexively associated with organs and tissues. One of the oldest and most effective traditional methods of treatment. The impact on the points can be done by acupuncture (acupuncture), cauterization, massage, etc. The treatment of psoriasis of the head with these methods has been practiced in oriental medicine for thousands of years. The treatments are performed by a reflexologist.
Vacuum therapy - the effect of thin air on biologically active points - is one of the methods of reflexology. It can be done using cans or special equipment. Promotes the rapid recovery of altered tissues. As a result of using vacuum therapy, the affected areas are greatly reduced.
Phytotherapy: dermatologists widely use medicinal plants in their practice in the form of infusions, decoctions and ready-made pharmaceutical forms. When used correctly as part of complex treatment, they are very effective both in the initial stages of the disease and in its long-term forms. If herbal medicine is added, the effectiveness of other treatment methods increases, the risk of developing unwanted pharmacological effects decreases.
Treatment of psoriasis on the head in the clinic
In a specialized clinic, this disease is treated by dermatologists who are trained and clinically experienced in the treatment of this disease by all currently known methods. In their work, they use the new Western methods of medical treatment in combination with the traditional Eastern methods that have been successfully used by the doctors of ancient China and Tibet for thousands of years.
To avoid relapse, it is necessary to eliminate the cause of the disease
Professional clinics use a variety of methods with an individual approach to each patient. Several complexes of traditional methods in combination with drug treatment can permanently save the patient from problems with the skin of the scalp.
The effectiveness of treatment in the clinic is noted in their comments and reviews not only by patients who regularly receive supportive treatment, but also by colleagues from other Moscow clinics.
Prevention of psoriasis on the head
Prevention of psoriasis on the head is especially necessary for people with a hereditary predisposition who have sick relatives. It includes eliminating the impact of the following factors:
- any prolonged exposure to the skin;
- malnutrition and a sedentary lifestyle;
- prolonged stress and heavy loads;
- smoking and alcohol abuse;
- hormonal disorders - if such disorders are suspected, you should immediately contact an endocrinologist;
- intoxication - in time to cure all chronic diseases that contribute to impaired metabolism and immunity.
A dermatologist can tell you how to cure psoriasis on the head after an exam. Therefore, you should not delay with the advice of a specialist, because the initial stages of the disease are much easier to treat. Can we cure this process? It is completely impossible to cure the disease, but if a person is treated regularly, there is a great opportunity to get rid of relapses for a long time.
Head psoriasis diet?
There is no special diet, but scalp psoriasis treatment involves 4 adequate meals a day containing all the ingredients needed by the body in the diet. On the table there must be no foods that irritate the skin:
- spicy, salty, sour;
- fruits rich in essential oils (garlic and fresh onions, radish);
- fried, smoked, canned foods;
- caffeinated drinks - strong tea, coffee, cola, etc. ;
- alcoholic beverages - contribute to the development of relapses of the disease.
It has been established that meat food causes an exacerbation, so the diet should contain more foods containing complex carbohydrates, lean meat, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.
Drug therapy for scalp psoriasis?
Medicines are selected based on the patient's condition and the presence of certain symptoms of the disease. At the initial stage of psoriasis on the head, the following external agents are used:
- when wet, solutions and creams are prescribed that eliminate these symptoms and prevent bacterial and fungal infections;
- if the skin is dry, it is treated with ointments; salicylic acid ointment - has a softening effect; ointments with tar have the same effect; ointments with zinc and an analogue of vitamin D3 + glucocorticoid betamethasone help a lot - it helps to quickly eliminate the symptoms of psoriasis;
- ointments and creams with corticosteroid hormones are prescribed in the treatment of common forms of psoriasis on the head;
- shampoos are widely used; thus, tar shampoos relieve inflammation, soften scabs; shampoo with zinc has an antiseptic and softening effect, relieves inflammation; shampoos have been used for a long time.
Folk remedies for psoriasis on the head?
Is it possible to cure scalp psoriasis with folk remedies? Most specialists use folk remedies for symptomatic treatment (elimination of some symptoms) of this disease. But you must be clear that:
- it is necessary to treat the disease with folk remedies on the recommendation of a dermatologist;
- it is impossible to cure the disease with folk remedies alone; dermatologists prescribe complex therapy in combination with traditional medicine.